ClubsExpand Clubs
Last Week
Next Week
URBA - Top 12

Overview Honours Roll Team appearances Related trophies Sources Current Season

Overview

In 1899 4 clubs (Atletico del Rosario, Belgrano A.C., Buenos Aires FC and Lomas) founded the River Plate Rugby Union to govern the development of rugby union in Argentina.
In the years it accepted the membership of the clubs of the Buenos Aires area and of the unions from the Interior (the first accepted was the Rosario Union in 1931).
In 1951, following a request from the argentinian olympic committee, it changed its name in Union Argentina de Rugby (UAR).
Its championships, being reserved to member clubs, were played by Buenos Aires area clubs, with the invitation in some seasons of 2 clubs: Atletico del Rosario, being a founder of UAR, and Estudiantes Paranà.
The anomaly of UAR, being at the same time the national union and the Buenos Aires regional union, was dissolved in 1995 with the creation of the Union de Rugby de Buenos Aires (URBA).
The new regional union organizes since then the Buenos Aires Championship (Torneo de la URBA) while UAR is responsible for national competitions.

Besides the championship, during the years some other tournament was played in particular situations:
  • In the period 1917-1927 a knock out competition was played, called Concurso de Eliminacion;
  • In 1932 a Torneo de Eliminacion was played since the Primera Division was played in a reduced form due to a Junior Springboks tour in Argentina;
  • In the period 1937-1946 the Torneo de Eliminacion was revamped to let teams play some more games;
  • In 1950, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the death of General San Martin, a knock out competition was played, called Torneo Libertador General San Martin;
  • In 1952, to let the teams play during an Ireland tour in Argentina, a knock out competition was played, called Campeonato Doble Knock Out;
  • In the period 1968-1970, to let the teams play during tours in Argentina of Wales, Scotland and Ireland, an extra competition was played, called Torneo Extra;
  • In 1977 the Torneo Extra was revamped with the partecipation also of the best teams from Interior;
  • In 2014, With the revamping of Nacional de Clubes, a Copa Buenos Aires was played to keep playing in the first period of the season Grupo I teams not qualified for Nacional de Clubes;

The league pyramid

The last reform of the league pyramid was in 2014. Since 2015 season the league structure is the following:

Level 1 Grupo I
7 teams playing Nacional de Clubes and directly qualified for Top 14
20 teams divided into 2 groups to qualify 7 teams for Top 14 and 13 for Reubicacion Grupo I
Level 2 Grupo II
24 teams divided into 2 groups to qualify 13 teams for Reubicacion Grupo I and 11 for Reubicacion Grupo II
Level 3 Grupo III
18 teams divided into 2 groups to qualify 5 teams for Reubicacion Grupo II and 13 to Reubicacion Grupo III
Level 4 Grupo IV
18 teams divided into 2 groups to qualify 3 teams for Reubicacion Grupo III and 15 to Reubicacion Grupo IV

Honours Roll

Season:WinnersRunners upFormatResult
2016Belgrano A.C. (11)HindúFinal25-10
2015Hindú (9)C.U.B.A.Final24-0
2014Hindú (8)C.U.B.A.Final29-17
2013C.U.B.A. (14)HindúFinal11-9
2012Hindú (7)La Plata R.C.Final15-9
2011S.I.C. (25)AlumniFinal14-11
2010S.I.C. (24)La Plata R.C.Final30-22
2009Hindú (6)C.A.S.I.Final31-22
2008Hindú (5)NewmanFinal22-10
2007Hindú (4)La Plata R.C.Final9-6
2006Hindú (3)AlumniFinal20-5
2005C.A.S.I. (33)S.I.C.Final18-17
2004S.I.C. (23)AlumniFinal36-16
2003S.I.C. (22)C.A.S.I.Final20-9
2002S.I.C. (21)Regatas Bella VistaFinal16-10
2001Alumni (5)HindúRound Robin
2000Atletico del Rosario (5)C.A.S.I.Final35-32
1999S.I.C. (20)Atletico del RosarioFinal14-9
1998Hindú (2)S.I.C.Final38-12
1997S.I.C. (19)HindúRound Robin
1996Atletico del Rosario (4)
Hindú (1)
 Round Robin
1995La Plata R.C. (1) Round Robin
1994S.I.C. (18) Round Robin
1993S.I.C. (17) Round Robin
1992Alumni (4)S.I.C.Round Robin
1991Alumni (3)PueyrredonRound Robin
1990Alumni (2)S.I.C.Round Robin
1989Alumni (1)
Banco Nacion (2)
 Round Robin
1988S.I.C. (16)C.U.B.A.Round Robin
1987S.I.C. (15)C.U.B.A.Round Robin
1986S.I.C. (14)
Banco Nacion (1)
 Round Robin
1985C.A.S.I. (32)S.I.C.Round Robin
1984S.I.C. (13)C.U.B.A.Round Robin
1983S.I.C. (12)C.A.S.I.Round Robin
1982C.A.S.I. (31)S.I.C.Round Robin
1981C.A.S.I. (30)S.I.C.Round Robin
1980S.I.C. (11)C.A.S.I.Round Robin
1979S.I.C. (10)Banco NacionRound Robin
1978S.I.C. (9)Banco NacionRound Robin
1977S.I.C. (8)Belgrano A.C.Round Robin
1976C.A.S.I. (29)S.I.C.Round Robin
1975C.A.S.I. (28)PueyrredonRound Robin
1974C.A.S.I. (27)S.I.C.Round Robin
1973S.I.C. (7)C.A.S.I.Round Robin
1972S.I.C. (6)C.U.B.A.Round Robin
1971S.I.C. (5)C.A.S.I.Round Robin
1970S.I.C. (4)
C.U.B.A. (13)
 Round Robin
1969C.U.B.A. (12)C.A.S.I.Round Robin
1968C.U.B.A. (11)
Belgrano A.C. (10)
 Round Robin
1967C.A.S.I. (26)
Belgrano A.C. (9)
 Round Robin
1966Belgrano A.C. (8)C.A.S.I.Round Robin
1965C.U.B.A. (10)C.A.S.I.Round Robin
1964C.A.S.I. (25)Old GeorgiansRound Robin
1963Belgrano A.C. (7)PueyrredonRound Robin
1962C.A.S.I. (24)Belgrano A.C.Round Robin
1961C.A.S.I. (23)C.U.B.A.Round Robin
1960C.A.S.I. (22)C.U.B.A.Round Robin
1959Buenos Aires C. & R. (10)C.U.B.A.Round Robin
1958Buenos Aires C. & R. (9)Belgrano A.C.Round Robin
1957C.A.S.I. (21)Belgrano A.C.Round Robin
1956C.A.S.I. (20)Belgrano A.C.Round Robin
1955C.A.S.I. (19)Belgrano A.C.Round Robin
1954C.A.S.I. (18)PucaràRound Robin
1953Obras Sanitarias (1)Olivos R.C.Round Robin
1952C.U.B.A. (9)PucaràRound Robin
1951C.U.B.A. (8) Round Robin
1950C.U.B.A. (7)
Pucarà (2)
 Round Robin
1949C.A.S.I. (17)
C.U.B.A. (6)
 Round Robin
1948S.I.C. (3)C.U.B.A.Round Robin
1947C.U.B.A. (5)PucaràRound Robin
1946Pucarà (1)Belgrano A.C.Round Robin
1945C.U.B.A. (4)HindúRound Robin
1944C.U.B.A. (3)C.A.S.I.Round Robin
1943C.A.S.I. (16)C.U.B.A.Round Robin
1942C.U.B.A. (2)G.E.B.A.Round Robin
1941S.I.C. (2)G.E.B.A.Round Robin
1940Belgrano A.C. (6)
Olivos R.C. (1)
 Round Robin
1939S.I.C. (1)
G.E.B.A. (4)
Old Georgians (3)
 Round Robin
1938Old Georgians (2)Olivos R.C.Round Robin
1937Old Georgians (1)Atletico del RosarioRound Robin
1936Belgrano A.C. (5) Round Robin
1935Atletico del Rosario (3)HindúRound Robin
1934C.A.S.I. (15)C.U.B.A.Round Robin
1933C.A.S.I. (14)Belgrano A.C.Round Robin
1932G.E.B.A. (3)C.A.S.I.Tie breaker11-8
1931C.U.B.A. (1)C.A.S.I.Round Robin
1930C.A.S.I. (13)Belgrano A.C.Round Robin
1929C.A.S.I. (12)G.E.B.A.Round Robin
1928C.A.S.I. (11) Round Robin
1927C.A.S.I. (10) Round Robin
1926C.A.S.I. (9) Round Robin
1925C.A.S.I. (8) Round Robin
1924C.A.S.I. (7) Round Robin
1923C.A.S.I. (6) Round Robin
1922C.A.S.I. (5) Round Robin
1921C.A.S.I. (4)
Belgrano A.C. (4)
 Round Robin
1920C.A.S.I. (3) Round Robin
1918C.A.S.I. (2) Round Robin
1917C.A.S.I. (1) Round Robin
1915Buenos Aires FC (8) Round Robin
1914Belgrano A.C. (3) Round Robin
1913Lomas (2) Round Robin
1912G.E.B.A. (2) Round Robin
1911G.E.B.A. (1) Round Robin
1910Belgrano A.C. (2) Round Robin
1909Buenos Aires FC (7) Round Robin
1908Buenos Aires FC (6) Round Robin
1907Belgrano A.C. (1) Round Robin
1906Atletico del Rosario (2) Round Robin
1905Atletico del Rosario (1) Round Robin
1904Buenos Aires FC (5) Round Robin
1903Buenos Aires FC (4) Round Robin
1902Buenos Aires FC (3) Round Robin
1901Buenos Aires FC (2) Round Robin
1900Buenos Aires FC (1) Round Robin
1899Lomas (1) Round Robin

Team appearances

URBA - Top 12 since 2001 URBA - 1° Division A since 2001
TeamTeam
appearances
First
appearance
Last
appearance
Alumni 17 2001 2017
Atletico del Rosario 17 2001 2017
Belgrano A.C. 17 2001 2017
C.A.S.I. 17 2001 2017
C.U.B.A. 17 2001 2017
Hindú 17 2001 2017
La Plata R.C. 17 2001 2017
Newman 17 2001 2017
Pucarà 17 2001 2017
S.I.C. 17 2001 2017
San Luis R.C. 17 2001 2017
Lomas 16 2001 2016
Olivos R.C. 16 2001 2016
Regatas Bella Vista 16 2001 2017
Los Tilos 15 2001 2017
Pueyrredon 14 2001 2016
Champagnat 13 2001 2013
San Cirano 13 2001 2016
Banco Nacion 12 2001 2016
San Albano 12 2003 2016
San Martin 12 2001 2016
Buenos Aires C. & R. 11 2001 2016
San Fernando 10 2001 2010
Manuel Belgrano 9 2006 2015
Liceo Naval 7 2002 2016
Los Matreros 7 2004 2016
G.E.B.A. 6 2001 2016
Hurling 6 2001 2016
Liceo Militar 5 2010 2014
Mariano Moreno 4 2011 2017
San Andres 4 2010 2013
Deportiva Francesa 3 2008 2015
Universitario La Plata 3 2005 2015
Curupaytì 2 2012 2016
Delta R.C. 1 2014 2014
TeamTeam appearancesFirst
appearance
Last
appearance
San Carlos 17 2001 2017
C.U.Q. 16 2001 2016
G.E.I. 16 2001 2016
Ciudad de Buenos Aires 15 2002 2016
Curupaytì 15 2001 2017
San Patricio 15 2001 2016
Mariano Moreno 14 2001 2017
Universitario La Plata 14 2001 2017
C.A.S.A. de Padua 13 2001 2015
Deportiva Francesa 13 2001 2016
Monte Grande 12 2001 2016
San Andres 12 2001 2016
Argentino Avellaneda 11 2001 2011
Banco Hipotecario 11 2001 2016
G.E.B.A. 11 2003 2017
Italiano 11 2002 2016
Liceo Militar 11 2001 2016
St. Brendan's 11 2006 2016
Hurling 10 2005 2014
S.I.T.A.S. 10 2001 2017
Centro Naval 9 2001 2016
Liceo Naval 9 2001 2012
Los Matreros 9 2001 2015
Don Bosco 8 2003 2016
Albatros 7 2005 2016
Los Cedros 7 2001 2007
Manuel Belgrano 7 2001 2016
Buenos Aires C. & R. 6 2002 2017
La Salle 6 2003 2014
San Fernando 6 2011 2016
Tigre 6 2002 2013
Banco Nacion 5 2011 2017
Delta R.C. 5 2011 2016
San Albano 5 2001 2017
San Martin 5 2004 2017
Arsenal Zarate 4 2001 2005
Champagnat 4 2014 2017
Daom 4 2002 2016
Lanus 4 2013 2016
Belgrano Day 3 2004 2008
Los Tilos 3 2010 2017
Pueyrredon 3 2011 2017
San Cirano 3 2010 2015
San Marcos 3 2002 2009
Areco 2 2006 2007
Atletico y Progreso 1 2015 2015
Beromama 1 2001 2001
El Retiro 1 2002 2002
Lomas 1 2017 2017
Los Pinos 1 2001 2001
Lujan 1 2016 2016
Regatas Bella Vista 1 2012 2012

Related trophies

URBA - Reubicacion Grupo I
URBA - Reubicacion Grupo II
Concurso de Eliminacion
TeamTitlesRunners up
Belgrano A.C.52
C.A.S.I.41
C.U.B.A.21
G.E.B.A.01
Torneo de Eliminacion
Torneo Libertador General San Martin
Season:WinnersRunners upFormatResult
1950C.U.B.A. (1)S.I.C.Final12-6
TeamTitlesRunners up
C.U.B.A.10
S.I.C.01
Campeonato Doble Knock Out
Season:WinnersRunners upFormatResult
1952Deportiva Francesa (1)Buenos Aires C. & R.Final
TeamTitlesRunners up
Deportiva Francesa10
Buenos Aires C. & R.01
Torneo Extra
Season:WinnersRunners upFormatResult
1977Los Tarcos (1)Belgrano A.C.Final22-12
1970Los Matreros (1)PucaràRound Robin
1969San Fernando (1)S.I.C.Final14-3
1968Deportiva Francesa (1)Belgrano A.C.Final26-6
Copa Buenos Aires
Season:WinnersRunners upFormatResult
2014La Plata R.C. (1)LomasFinal45-14
TeamTitlesRunners up
La Plata R.C.10
Lomas01

Sources

urba.org.ar - URBA official site.
www.uar.com.ar/pdf/memorias/1921.pdf - Memories of UAR (Union Argentina de Rugby). Every year in the period 1921-2012 is presente in the archive.
www.espn.com.ar/rugby - ESPN broadcast argentine site.
www.rugbytime.com - Site about argentine rugby.
www.rugbyfun.com.ar - Site about argentine rugby.
es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torneo_de_la_URBA - Wikipedia pages about Torneo de la URBA.
Every site was scanned using also web.archive.org